Fears and Phobias
What is a Fear?
In normal circumstances fear is not an issue, nor something to be ashamed of. It helps us guard against situations that could be harmful. Fear is an important natural response to ensure our survival. In fact for our ancestor’s fear was essential, given the daily threats they faced.
In many ways our fears today could be seen as the right response at the wrong time. 50,00 years ago, a particular fear may have been essential. But if we’re still running that ‘programme’, our ‘software’ is out of date and can be updated. In other words, we can unlearn fear.
In fact, there is a school of thought that suggests we are born with only two fears – of heights and noises. Everything else is a learned response that can be unlearned.
What is a Phobia?
Phobias are more pronounced than fears. They develop when a person has an exaggerated or unrealistic sense of danger about a situation or object. A phobia is a type of anxiety disorder. It is an extreme form of fear or anxiety, triggered by a particular situation or object.
It could be time to get support if you find any of the following are true:
- You avoid the trigger object, situation, place or activity, it affects your everyday life, or causes you great distress
- The Phobia prevents you doing the things enjoy
- The Phobia causes you intense and overwhelming fear, anxiety or panic
- You recognise that your fear is out of proportion to the danger
- You’ve had the phobia for at least six months
- Animal phobias, for example dogs, spiders, snakes or rodents
- Environmental phobias, this might be heights, deep water and germs
- Situational phobias, could include visiting the dentist or flying
How I can help
The good news about Phobias is that in most cases, they result from a learnt behaviour – and that means they can be un-learnt!
Using NLP and clinical Hypnosis, during a three-hour breakthrough session, we can break the neural pathways to remove the phobia and put you firmly back in the driving seat of your life.
Ready to find out more?
Please get in touch. I offer a free 30-minute relaxed and informal consultation. There is no obligation, and the call will help me find out more about you and the issues you are experiencing. It gives us an opportunity to talk through any concerns and to answer any questions you may have.